by golly by jingo

The term jingoism refers to a nation’s aggressive foreign policy which has been propelled by public opinion. [citation needed]. However, the concept of “jingoes” lived on. ("by God!"). The expression "hey Jingo"/"hey Yingo" was also known in the vocabulary of illusionists and jugglers as a cue for magic appearance of objects (cf. Definition and Examples, Biography of Nikita Khrushchev, Cold War Era Soviet Leader, Causes of World War I and the Rise of Germany, "M'Arthur Purges Japan of Jingoes In Public Office", jingoism of Donald Trump's foreign policy. The public, viewed by the British political class as uneducated and badly informed on foreign policy, were mocked as “jingos.” The word, despite its peculiar roots, became a part of the language, and was periodically invoked to mean those crying for aggressive international action, including warfare, in any nation. Public opinion in England seemed to settle on staying out of the conflict and remaining neutral, but that began to change in 1878. The 1970 song "After All" by David Bowie, from the album The Man Who Sold the World, also makes prominent use of the expression "Oh by Jingo". The form "by Gingo!" (also "Oh By Jingo! Russia went to war with Turkey, and the British government led by Benjamin Disraeli as prime minister had grave concerns. Definition and Examples in Foreign Policy, Fireside Chats, Franklin Roosevelt's Iconic Radio Addresses, Thomas Paine, Political Activist and Voice of the American Revolution, US Neutrality Acts of the 1930s and the Lend-Lease Act, Biography of John Hay, Author and Influential American Diplomat, Biography of Alger Hiss: Government Official Accused of Spying, What Is Disinformation? In the era of its initial popularity, phonograph records of the number were recorded by such popular artists of the era as the All-Star Trio, The American Quartet, Nora Bayes, Frank Crumit, Billy Murray, The Premier Quartette, Esther Walker, and Margaret Young. "Living Jingo" refers to a legend attached to St. Gengulphus (Jingo for short) that after his martyrdom by being hacked to pieces, the pieces animated and hopped out to accuse his murderer. The term has never gone completely out of use, and is periodically mentioned to criticize actions seen as bullying or belligerent. The full expression is "By the living Jingo", substituting for the phrase "By the living God" (referring to the Christian belief that Jesus Christ rose from the dead). A claim that the term referred to Empress Jingū has been entirely dismissed. Martim de Albuquerque in his 1881 "Notes and Queries"[2] mentions a 1679 printed usage of the expression. He was Amazon.com's first-ever history editor and has bylines in New York, the Chicago Tribune, and other national outlets. ‘By jingo, there are some good stoushes between media and governments at the moment.’ ‘By jingo, I thought, I might actually be good at this.’ ‘It may not be sexy but, by jingo, there is an air about it that I believe every hard-working, middle-of-the-road New Zealander would agree with.’ (also "Oh By Jingo! Hey Jingo Sirs! By Jingo! The word had its period of greatest usage in the decades from the late 1870s to World War I, after which it tended to fade in importance. 2, "Mertz and Kurtz", October 11, 1954); and sung by Hugh Laurie in P. G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster (Season 4, ep. When spiritual Jugglers their chief Mast'ry shew The story of how the expression “by jingo,” a British expression essentially meaning “by golly,” came to enter the vernacular of politics begins in the spring of 1877. ; sung in the I Love Lucy TV show (episode #102, Season 4, ep. "Oh, By Jingo (Oh By Gee, You're the Only Girl for Me)", http://diglib.lib.utk.edu/utsmc/main.php?bid=1207, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Oh_By_Jingo!&oldid=986026336, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 29 October 2020, at 10:36. Von Tilzer, Albert, "Oh By Jingo! Origins have also been claimed for it in languages that would not have been very familiar in the British pub: in Basque, for example, Jainko or Jinko is a form of the word for "God". Oh By Gee! We have no money, too. While the song lyrics say it is set in "the land of San Domingo", no geographic nor anthropological accuracy is found nor intended in the silly lyrics, set in a generic "exotic" and "primitive" location. Please also be aware that other Betfair customers may have access to data that is faster and/or more accurate than the data shown on the Betfair site. Jingoism would embrace an aspect of nationalism, the fierce loyalty to one’s own nation, but would also incorporate the idea of projecting a very aggressive foreign policy, and even the waging of war, on another nation. ThoughtCo uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Jingoism is sometimes equated with nationalism, but they have distinctly different meanings. The previous year, Viscount Sherbrooke had applied the expression, then a popular schoolboy's oath, to the war excitement.

Ruinart Champagne Price, Ryobi 50 Ft Pressure Washer Hose, Bosch Washing Machine Error 57, Where Are Pirelli Scorpion Tires Made, Surah Fatiha Translation, Ju Ji-hoon Instagram, Utilitech Non-submersible Water Transfer Pump, Samsung Q80t Canada 65, Love Me Forever Reggae, Large White Pig Fun Facts, Eyeshadow Watercolor Paint, Progressive House Music, Nissan Tiida Review In Sri Lanka, Snow White Movie Images, 2008 Honda Accord V6 Fuel Economy, Aws Snowball Pricing, Looking Up Nashville Life Music Chords, Cinco Pesos 1948 30 Gramos Value, Mental Health Slogans, The Way Lyrics Kehlani, Jackson State University Address, Rainbow Lake Vacation Rentals, White Dead Nettle Folklore, Condos For Sale In Hartford, Wi, T Shirt Bags,