gospel song over jordan

Deep river, my home is over Jordan. Choose your language below. I'm going there no more to roam. As with most folk songs, many variations of the lyrics exist. [citation needed], Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time.[4]. The WINGS OVER JORDAN CHOIR (WOJC), a prominent African American choir during the late 1930s and early 1940s, made broadcast history with the first independently produced national and international radio programs created by AFRICAN AMERICANS. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); ’Tis a blessèd hope, and it cheers my soul,I shall rest by and by over Jordan;When my work is done and my crown is won,I shall rest, sweetly rest over Jordan.RefrainOver Jordan, over Jordan, I shall restSweetly rest by and by;’Tis a precious hope, ’tis a blessèd hope,I shall rest, sweetly rest over Jordan.’Tis a blessèd hope which my Savior gives,I shall rest by and by over Jordan;I shall see Him there in His mansion fair,When I rest, sweetly rest over Jordan.RefrainWith a steadfast faith I will labor on,I shall rest, sweetly rest over Jordan;O what joy ’twill be the redeemed to see,When I rest, sweetly rest, over Jordan.Refrain, Lyrics to Rest over Jordan a traditional, old Christian hymn and song. I want to cross over into campground. Deep river, Lord, Review: Reverend Glynn T. Settle was the originator of the Wings over Jordan Choir (WOJC), which on the public scene in the late 1930s, the first full-time professional black choir in America. Oh, don't you want to go to that Gospel-feast? "Trying to Get Ready" is a treat on many levels, from beginning to end. I know dark clouds will hang 'round me, I know my way is rough and steep. And then there are tunes we've heard many times, such as "Rock My Soul in the Bosom of Abraham," "Ezekiel Saw the Wheel," "Wade in the Water," "Old Ship of Zion" and "Sweet Little Jesus Boy," but it's as if we are hearing them for the first time. Lyrics. WRHS. In Celebration of the Human Voice - The Essential Musical Instrument, Home | Doo Wop | Barbershop | World | Contemporary | Christian | Vocal Jazz | Choral | Christmas | Instructional | Arrangements. These online, free lyrics to this old, classic Christian Hymn and song Rest over Jordan can be printed and used to create a personalised hymn book. [2], During and for several years after the American Civil War, the lyrics were known as the Libby Prison Hymn. Get Away Jordan. ", "1917 soundtrack: What is the 'Wayfaring Stranger' song in the war film? At its height, the choir performed before sold-out, non-segregated audiences in over 40 states, 5 European countries, Canada, and Mexico. Deep river, Lord, I want to cross over into campground. 6054). Settle believed in using Negro spirituals to spread Christianity. The choir was founded in 1935 by the Rev. I'm only going over home. performed a decade long series of weekly, sometimes daily, programs for CBS and WGAR exclusively. The song was first mentioned in print in 1876, when it was published in the first edition of The Story of the Jubilee Singers: With Their Songs, by J. Rev. Oh, don't you want to go to that gospel feast, that promised land where all is peace? It soon became a hit. On 9 Jan. 1938 the group adopted the (Image)(Image) name Wings Over Jordan Choir and The Wings Over Jordan national broadcasting began. In 1937, the ensemble performed weekly on the "Negro Hour" over RADIO station WGAR, a CBS affiliate. Wings Over Jordan : Trying to Get Ready Review: Reverend Glynn T. Settle was the originator of the Wings over Jordan Choir (WOJC), which on the public scene in the late 1930s, the first full-time professional black choir in America. I'm going there to see my Father. Oh, don't you want to go to that gospel feast, that promised land where all is peace? It has been called "perhaps the best known and best-loved spiritual".[2]. Is your language not listed? Delete anyways? Deep river, my home is over Jordan. It was recorded earlier, in June 1948, and released in January 1949 by the "Wings Over Jordan Choir". An operatic adaption was sung at the memorial service for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg as she was taken to lie in state September 25, 2020. Deep river, my home is over Jordan. | World | Choral | Contemporary | Vocal Jazz, Vintage | Musical Theater | Disney | Standards GLENN T. SETTLE , pastor of Gethsemane Baptist Church on E. 30th and Scovill Ave. in Cleveland. I know my way is rough and steep. "Deep River" is an anonymous African-American spiritual, popularized by Henry Burleigh in his 1916 collection Jubilee Songs of the USA. Deep river, Lord, I want to cross over into campground. The song was arranged by Jester Hairston, for the Sidney Poitier film Lilies of the Field (1963), which popularized the song. The fact is, I pity and pray for those who despitefully mistreat me. Ad revenue helps keep us running. I'm only going over home. All Rights Reserved   All Content, page design, CGI Copyright © United Singers International. Not any longer! Reverend Settle narrates in this rare collection, saying things like "It's not because I'm a coward and afraid to defend myself that I smilingly take the many abuses forced upon me through life. Source: Hymns of Promise: a large print songbook #134 LetsSingIt comes to you in your own language! I wanna cross over to see my Lord. In 1937 the choir inaugurated a successful weekly "Negro Hour" on CBS Radio in Cleveland, reaching 40 million listeners. You're not logged in. Proficient and versatile, during the period 1938 to 1949, the choir performed before sold-out, non-segregated audiences in over 40 American states, 5 European countries, Canada and Mexico.

Alright Lyrics Meaning, Rachel Portman Net Worth, Essay On Burger King, Jennie Panhan Before Surgery, Revolution 2020 Aew, Devon Smith 2020, Walk A Mile In My Shoes Poem, Maxim 9 Airsoft, Rainbow Six Siege Movie Netflix, How To Make Tilde Sign On Keyboard, Jason Rubin Wife, The Garden Of Abdul Gasazi Read Aloud, Nancy Barrett (yale), Treasure Map Coordinates Game, Loaded Coyote Vs Tugboat, Middle Names For Ivy And Iris, Pit Bull Rescue, What Color Is A Walrus, Robert Evans Journalist Real Name, Vizsla Puppies For Sale Richmond Va, Jurassic World Dino Rivals Codes, Caesarea Philippi Pronunciation, Hunter Pence Wife, Jack Crevalle Vs Giant Trevally, Dd Fire Striker,