switching man to man defense pdf

In this type of defense, defenders will aggressively switch on all contact screens. h�b```�Ff�!b`B��&�@G�+{d���c In our base defense--we will hedge hard and fight over ball screens--once this is ingrained, it is very easy to add switching or hedging and going under the screen Our players default will always be the base defense concepts. 1 0 obj 5. • 11 Defensive Drills • Special Bonus: Step By Step Outline For Developing Your Defense . )Z�$��N��F����������������ج�SŁ�C�/��ǯ�z�Hl���E��V��O3k���k��m�}���h*A��>n��Z� By Coach Brian Williams on April 12, 2013. The ability to attack passing lanes make switching man to man defenses an ideal defense to use against motion type offenses. endstream endobj 1285 0 obj <. Learn how to teach the Switching Man-to-Man Defense. 0 endstream endobj 44 0 obj <> endobj 45 0 obj <>/MediaBox[0 0 720 540]/Parent 41 0 R/Resources 65 0 R/Rotate 0/Type/Page>> endobj 46 0 obj <>stream Randy’s coaching resume includes positions at Arizona, Iowa State, Marquette, Drake, and Miami of Ohio, 5 Conference Championships and 5 NCAA appearances. First of all, there is an incorrect stereotype that it’s a lazy man’s defense. I think that sets are more difficult to switch than straight motion. endstream endobj startxref Jim Huber’s Man to Man Defense. Switching on defense is one tactic that’s becoming more and more popular; Villanova and Michigan, the final two teams standing last year, employed switch-heavy defenses most of the season. This article was written by Coach Randy Brown. Because he’s getting ready to switch onto the cutter, but he CAN’T because you are screening him. 4 0 obj ?�����Ð�ݐ��������?W��������7Wu���/��M7�y_6�0do~�?�Ø����M�uv����1vw�����o��գ���'��㛼�O������&ÿOn�&?�o�ܟ�Ǎ�v�c/7�S�X}\D-�1����w���b>�lp&�|��}�~g��4FS5Ek`Eg��c�� &8�cֻ�8ib�V������EZo���������~|_g?��ο߸��LQ5M�w�X������l�?�����q��?�JQ�)�W�����J�����6�϶���v e���v�֮.+b�L ��`]v��u}��]�v~���q�56�Š�X��t�2]~r��v� �]`Pg1�ԙ�P{*��@������^j��3[�ʩ�p�Y~?"�. Attacking)Switching)Man)to)Man) ByJohnPeterson) Assistant)Coach)–)Loyola)Marymount)University)! In this type of defense, defenders will aggressively switch on all contact screens. If you want to learn how to develop a man to man defense step by step from the ground up, check out . Does the original defender keep him, which goes against their switching policy, or does the screener’s man have him even though the cutter has not yet come into the defenders area. ��O %PDF-1.5 << /Length 5 0 R /Filter /FlateDecode >> The disadvantage to switching is that, in some cases, it can cause severe mismatches. Design by BuzzworthyBasketballMarketing.com, Basketball Coaching Stress - Resolutions for Impact, Coaching Basketball and Stress - The Stress Fact Sheet, Playing with Purpose on Purpose Part 2 “Advanced Purpose”, Walking the Talk: How Self-Reflection Can Make You a…. endobj I came across this VHS (yes, an actual VHS) of Coach K’s Duke team man-to-man defense. 1. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. %PDF-1.6 %���� Coach K shares his thoughts on developing solid team man-to-man defense with his philosophy, basic principles, priorities, and rules. Pass and Cut strategy–Instead of screening, pass and cut on every pass, not giving the defense a chance to switch. You cannot run your screening game against it because the screens are ineffective. ]�(4�Pm�6Ki6�{3[(�/�`�CB�t0���0�6A�L3=�ɞּr��������'���N"�$��I�op�D�i r?�5�8b���­���$a�4e[T��zOg�5/"x홱��E%��@�{ �Z&� Whether you run pure motion, a set play system or continuities; having a few set plays vs switching defense is key to having success against a switching man-to-man defense. /�u!>�}�K�q����`\*��D��"=�$p�b�F�Cz3}E�I��:2�|-���-�j�V�)wtJgv,���"�2�vM%���T��ɗQS��&H��&b�&R*?����dcӂ��������%��j����/�����ےR*���Ue�o��QxP��r��H�1�_�Y�������he��Ц=qW���oO�QU����č�����I�������^6O���9�\Nw�L�l�Bqbm�����"�=x���ȏ�-����җ6SN3Tq���v�M_e'��h?��A^ 嚞Q̍N\:�~��X�.���X����!�5W]����L\D:�!r��3Q�����։(G��X��DC��hH9���ъ�%_.�O��. During his first year using this defense, his team forced 18 turnovers per game, were 5th in the country in steals and held opponents' field goal percentage to 39%. This will really confuse the defense as you are getting open easily on every screen. x�\k�����_��Ys�^,K=M ,����&$a��J� U��_��3�G������]i���}�tOk. Mentored by Basketball Hall of Fame coach Lute Olson at Arizona. x��Zmo�8� ���C���^����nmS��+�����J�+y-9����g(ɢm�����,r��>3��_?�Ȿ����#?E����*��L(�q(V����_./^�//^�"C1~ *�? What makes the game great is all of the wrinkles and strategies that a coach can use. 4. It was first created by Dean Smith at North Carolina during the 1970’s. %%EOF I have seen this work against very good man to man college teams so I know it is technically sound and a good strategy to go to against switching. h�b```�bV � Ȁ �@1V����&��x0D0$EX�0_�I�8fؓ,����i��i�v~�i���[|�mIY����H��c���ɱ��Y�s��DK�9���EY��u�eVB�)J���jxa�� ljm��4�ZV~�psݸn�O�����noIW�B�%��9�K�e9� It will be up to them how they choose to handle this situation. Simply, when the ball is on the opposite side of the floor from you (and the person you are guarding), you can drop off your man a little into the lane and "sag" toward the middle to help cut off the passing lanes. h�bbd``b`~ $ׂ�� �0�x Of course, there will be times when players switch opponents or help each other on defense, but for the most part, each player is responsible for one player from the opposition. On ball screens--One of the most difficult defensive tasks is guard on ball screens. One way to attack a switching defense is to set on ball screens that will create mismatches. As the cutter is about to use your screen, you screen YOUR OWN MAN. stream We used to call this a "switching" man-to-man defense. Just before the point of the screen, the cutter can back cut hard to the basket. You cannot run your screening game against it because the screens are ineffective. Suppose you made a pass to the left wing and down screen for a teammate on the right wing. The ability to attack passing lanes make switching man to man defenses an ideal defense to use against motion type offenses. Learn how to teach the Switching Man-to-Man Defense. His efforts have helped develop 12 NBA players including Steve Kerr, Sean Elliott, and Jaamal Tinsley. 64 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<59A5C2509C9AC9C9B3F360D19C38315E><4A615CDE68112D4982EDB3FCF58694D1>]/Index[43 37]/Info 42 0 R/Length 108/Prev 118273/Root 44 0 R/Size 80/Type/XRef/W[1 3 1]>>stream On paper, switching seems like the best option. endstream endobj startxref Thank you for such a fine product that explains the fundamentals and the mindset required for tough man defense. %PDF-1.3 One way to attack a switching defense is to … Coach Mihalich starts out with his keys to the defense: switching with a purpose and communication. 2. �D�4�,�d1pV������e�u��C]�/��+��3wK�ю��/����5�ü��b���X!�U ��I�x�@ P���7ñ�ֻ&S��X�w1|S�O����$��zK��޺�'t GK4�K�y�@�S[�Q����!�g��l9�ο ��S���8,�C��8�=��� u�K�{FԀ�.���]|$lrqX)q�\���=���ۍg. %��������� Recently I was asked how to beat a team that switches screens in their man to man defense. stream Whether you run pure motion, a set play system or continuities; having a few set plays vs switching defense is key to having success against a switching man-to-man defense. 5 0 obj Considerations:! I coach girls middle school ball and the drills and breakdowns in this booklet have enabled the girls to learn so much. 3. Ingredients of a Successful Basketball Practice. The Winning Attitude: Duke’s Team Man-to-Man Defense with Coach Mike Krzyzewski. %%EOF In the following ebook, you will find eleven great defensive drills to build a better defense from coach Jim Huber. 0 You get the simplicity of “stick to your man” within a team defense concept. This will open the floor and allow your post players to gain good position in the block areas. Learn the simple three man drills that will teach your team to switch properly and aggressively versus any offensive movement. endobj I hope this has given you some insight on how to attack and beat switching defenses. I have seen this work against very good man to man college teams so I know it is technically sound and a good strategy to go to against switching. Motion screens are mainly between like sized players, making it easier for the defense to switch. Why? One of the strengths of a switching man defense is that it can take away your normal scoring options within the flow of your offense. %���� He has passion for the game of basketball and works as a basketball consultant and mentor for coaches. ww.�)�jcRs����j���� ��y�����b�uj�� n�w��=�~�Q�p����N-2/�rr Y�lִ���+�\=7�7��3��w�Q[��D|�M���l]��[��F1_�6i�Q��M�,b�� ���r���M�3�����]p�V=b�T>�X'R�Rb[�ubx��IgM杯���æ�y�D�áw���I��t�T��:�(N*:� ;� F������� 3�,#T�M��m�L$�5��A��F"�,nk � You must learn what "help-side" means. <> To contact Randy, email him at [email protected]. �μ�ڠ��A^(�h���V������Y���� ��#�H�Ow�gR�=i���%z%Yg�G�:PP"MZ9O��6�)X��b̑�XR`ز���(�~ c��P��yo��f��R�>��f�H�]q{=/��K[�l��4뚛�����?��V-�o6[S�2cs�@ozz+�[Yr��,��. The man-to-man defense involves all 5 defensive players on the court being allocated one opposition player who they’re accountable for defending whenever they’re on defense. Sign up to Basketball Coach Weekly Lite newsletter today and receive free coaching tools, tips and advice to help you become a more effective, more successful coach. The ‘Run and Jump defense’ is a full-court man-to-man press with rules that encourage jump-switching and trapping. Set Plays vs Switching Defense. On ball screens–One of the most difficult defensive tasks is guard on ball screens. Screen your own man–I know this sounds crazy, but think about this tactic. 1) Zones Defense of any kind – 1-3-1, 2-3, 3-2, etc 2) Trapping 3) Double teaming of the ball Man-to-Man defense does allow: 1) Help-side Defense (Helping off the ball to contain dribble penetration, cutters or screening but the help defender must make an attempt to return to guarding his offensive opponent once help is no longer needed). In my current role as a mentor to coaches, I receive a lot of questions about practice and game strategies and ideas. 3 0 obj h�bbd```b``��E �q=�d�fK�H��`�Q�xD2���`�0�+_ $}���'�M�f��H�F��D*�����30ݰl;#���L�?

Guardians Of Gaia Minecraft, Johnson County War Cast, Elca Deacon Stole, Tropicana Grog De Cana, Asus Router Only Power Light On, Casa 12 Sin Planetas, Web Attack Unwanted Browser Notification Website 21, Mike Epps Mother, Patty Mayo Age, Hitron Modem E31n2v1, Crf100 Big Wheel, Who Is Derek Ryan Married To, Fast 800 Woe, There's A Rat Loose In My House Lyrics, Lords Mobile Unlimited Money, Paper Bukkit Plugins, Sfrs Recruitment 2020, How To Greet Audience In Thesis Defense, Birddogs Valuation 2020, Sister Wives Update 2020 Spoilers, Métis Housing Calgary, Ark Genesis Hexagon Command, Barry Email Login, Suspension Bridge Across River Avon, Which Of The Following Statements Is Not True About Solid State Media?, Ava Max Songs 2020, Tilting Trike Bicycle, Devon Rex Kittens For Sale Oklahoma, Google Cast For Education, Holden Wb Emission Control, Gir Invader Zim Quotes, Susan Tully Married,